The Reason You Need to Wrestle with Truth
I’ve never been a fan of wrestling matches and those on TV just look so fake. I did attend a high school match several years ago to see a young man from church participate. But like my first and only soft shell crab sandwich, that was my first and only wrestling match! (Can I get an “Amen” on this one?)
However, wrestling is a great metaphor when I’m teaching about renewing the mind and is a great way to explain our ongoing mental battle with the kingdom of darkness and the lies of the enemy. Ephesians 6:12 teaches that we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against an unseen spiritual enemy who only seeks to destroy us. Yikes! We need to be armed with the truth in order to defeat our opponent.
In order to be successful in winning this wrestling match or war, our minds need to be renewed with God’s truth. We don’t just get it – there are things we believe or have been taught that honestly don’t line up with God’s truth. This is where we need renewal in order to have more freedom.
Teaching on the use of affirmations is a large part of my speaking, workshops, and spiritual life coaching because it’s a very effective solution for incorporating more truth into the mind and heart. Affirmations can help you grow past obstacles and into a full life of increasing freedom.
In Deuteronomy 6, God told Moses to camp out on truth and take it in daily, making it part of every part of life:
6 And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. 7 Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. 8 Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. 9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. (NLT)
Also in Deuteronomy 4:9 is a warning to us to watch over ourselves and to teach those who come after us what is true:
Only pay attention and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things which your eyes have seen and they do not depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your grandchildren [impressing these things on their mind and penetrating their heart with these truths]— (Amplified)
When we first choose to follow Christ, that is just the beginning of our relationship with God. It’s important that we seek growth through the study of the Bible and let the truth found within renew our minds and thoughts and bring healing.
Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think (renewing your mind). Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. (Romans 12:2, NLT)
While you may prefer scriptures, you can pull the principles from the Bible like I have below. Here’s a list of affirmations you can print out to use for yourself if you want. I’ve handed out many of these in workshops and when used daily, they foster great growth and even healing change. This knowledge, while setting you free, also equips you for the battle being waged against you. You can even add to it and make your list unique to you.
- God did a great job in creating me. I am a person of great value. Only I have my unique identity and purpose.
- I can practice living a better life. I can make choices that are good for me. I can learn to love myself.
- I am uniquely created with gifts, talents, and heritage. Only I have my unique purpose. I am utterly irreplaceable!
- I can choose to renew my mind and change my belief system where there are wrong beliefs that hold me back from receiving God’s blessings.
- My true self is incredibly beautiful and designed for a good plan, purpose, and destiny that is fulfilling.
- I do not fear mistakes. I can learn from them and go forward. God is not ashamed of me when I make a mistake, but loves me through it.
- Not everything I have learned in my life so far is true. I will not be afraid to defy convention or tradition and follow my heart, seeking God to establish my steps.
- My identity, value, and confidence are increasing! I am growing spiritual muscle!
- I choose my closest friends wisely so I am influenced by others who are growing and changing as followers of Jesus.
- I am learning to be careful with my words, speaking out what is good for me. Made in God’s image, my words are powerful and creative.
- My sense of what is possible through God is growing! I am learning to enjoy my life and relationships with less fear. Truly nothing is impossible with God!
- I will always keep learning and growing to live a good life for myself and for others and to fulfill the purpose of my life.
- I am a leader – a person of influence who brings encouragement and kindness to others.
- I am becoming a great person of worthy influence and people will seek out my advice. I will be able to influence others in the right direction, because of my daily choice to practice truth and receive God’s wisdom in my heart.
- I am thankful for my life and for God’s gift of love and healing, and His process of growth designed specifically for me. I am living a life of gratitude.
- Father, I submit to You in my spirit, soul, and body. Please help me learn Your voice and follow You today! In Jesus name, Amen!
Jesus said, “When you know the truth, then the truth will set you free.” Let’s set about getting to know more truth. As our minds are renewed, our perspective changes, and we are able to live not just a better life, but an amazing life! God guarantees it!
Love & Grace,
From the desk by the window where the South Carolina camellias are in full bloom!
As a Certified Life Coach, I help women identify and confront insecurities, fear, and self-doubt so they can walk in freedom and live a confident, fulfilling, and powerful life.
As a “season changer” my coaching clients are getting unstuck and soaring with new strength and a sense of purpose!
Want to find out if spiritual life coaching could work for you? Just reach out to me via the Contact page or shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can check out the FAQ about coaching and make sure you download my free e-book “5 Essential Prayers for Every Believer”.
Helping you live a confident, powerful, and fulfilling life!
(c) 2018, February – Robin L. Lewis, Sozo Life & Leadership, LLC